What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

‘What a shame’: Cricketing world goes mad as West Indies crash out of the World Cup race after Scotland loss

Brexiter

Scotland knock West Indies out of World Cup 2023 race
Caribbean cricket suffered a significant blow on Saturday (July 1) as the West Indies crashed out of the race for the upcoming ODI World Cup. This devastating blow came after an embarrassing seven-wicket defeat at the hands of Scotland in the third match of the Super Six round of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 Qualifiers.

The 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, scheduled to take place in India from October 5 to November 19, will mark the first edition without the West Indies, who were the champions of the tournament in 1975 and 1979.

The West Indies’ hopes of qualifying for the marquee event received major jolts with losses to Zimbabwe and Netherlands in the group stage matches. To keep their World Cup hopes alive, the Shai Hope-led side needed a commanding performance against Scotland. Unfortunately, they failed to rise to the occasion in this must-win game at the Harare Sports Club.

After being invited to bat first, the West Indies’ innings crumbled for a meagre total of 181 runs in 43.5 overs. It was a lackluster batting display with no batter managing to score a half-century. All-rounder Jason Holder top-scored with 45 runs.

In response, Scotland capitalized on half-centuries from Matthew Cross (74 not out) and Brandon McMullen (69) to chase down the target with 39 deliveries to spare.

The cricket fraternity was left disappointed by the West Indies’ exit from the race for the 2023 World Cup qualification. The absence of the Men in Maroon in the prestigious tournament will undoubtedly be felt, given their rich history and past success in the Cricket World Cup.

Here’s how cricketing world reacted to the Windies exit from CWC 2023 race:

What a shame. West Indies fail to qualify for the World cup. Just shows talent alone isn’t enough, need focus and good man management, free from politics. The only solace is there isn’t further low to sink from here. pic.twitter.com/dAcs3uufNM

— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) July 1, 2023

World Cup without the West Indies 😞

— Dodda Ganesh | ದೊಡ್ಡ ಗಣೇಶ್ (@doddaganesha) July 1, 2023

I love West Indies
I love West Indian cricket
I still believe they can be the No.1 team in world cricket!

— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) July 1, 2023

Very sad to see West Indies not qualifying for the Cricket World Cup.

— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) July 1, 2023

Such a shame that West Indies won't be there at the World Cup.. Caribbean cricket has officially hit rock bottom. But when you hit rock bottom, only way is up. #WestIndies #CWCQualifier pic.twitter.com/rRHoQhynLJ

— Wasim Jaffer (@WasimJaffer14) July 1, 2023

In 2018, Scotland lost to WI and as a result lost an opportunity to play in the 2019 World Cup. They were gracious and supportive in defeat and wished us well.

I want to return the favour. Congratulations @CricketScotland and best of luck in the remaining Super Six games. pic.twitter.com/1HWBBqWbjg

— Carlos Brathwaite (@CRBrathwaite26) July 1, 2023

West Indies are out of the World Cup. Even though it isn’t surprising…given how their standards have fallen in the last few years…it’s still a little disappointing to see the erstwhile champions of cricket to become a spectator for a world event.
Change is the only constant!!!

— Aakash Chopra (@cricketaakash) July 1, 2023

The West Indies didn't just lose to Scotland, they were brushed aside. The whole is a tiny fraction of the sum of the parts now. I hope every player is looking within rather than sideways because while I am overjoyed for Scotland, the West Indies lost rather substantially to…

— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) July 1, 2023

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back