What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

• No links are allowed for first ten posts, this is to combat spammers. There after links must be relevant.

Alcaraz Passes Purcell Test, Reaches Cincinnati SFs

Brexiter

Carlos Alcaraz survived another three-set test at the Western & Southern Open on Friday, when he ended Australian qualifier Max Purcell’s dream run in Cincinnati.

After clawing past Jordan Thompson and Tommy Paul in deciding sets in his first two rounds, the World No. 1 was made to battle again in his quarter-final clash against Purcell, earning a hard-fought 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory in two hours and 11 minutes.

"It was really tough. It was tricky today. He served really well. I think he played well at the net, but I think I played well. I returned well on court and that was the key to getting the win today, to return very well and to focus," Alcaraz said. "It was not easy but I am really, really happy to reach my seventh Masters 1000 semi-final and first here in Cincinnati."

Alcaraz is now two wins away from capturing his third ATP Masters 1000 title of the season, while he improved to 52-5 on the year. The top seed is the only player to have earned more than 50 tour-level wins in 2023, with second-placed Daniil Medvedev recording 49.

Alcaraz, who triumphed at Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Madrid earlier this year, holds a 22-3 record at this level in 2023. The Wimbledon champion will continue the quest for his seventh title of the year when he faces Hubert Hurkacz in the semi-finals on Saturday. Alcaraz overcame Hurkacz in three sets in Toronto last week.

"It was a tough match in Toronto," Alcaraz said. "He is playing great tennis here and the court is a little bit faster than Toronto, so it is probably better for his game with his big serve. I need to be focused on return to put as much as I can in court."

In hot conditions in Ohio on Friday, the 20-year-old survived an attacking bombardment from Purcell, who was competing in his maiden Masters 1000 quarter-final. The Australian approached the net 61 times, heaping pressure on Alcaraz, who was forced to conjure up a series of stunning passes to stay alive.

Purcell started fast and deservedly led, but was unable to maintain his level against Alcaraz, with the top seed raising his intensity and speed around the court to fend off a spirited display from the 25-year-old. The World No. 1 recovered from squandering a break advantage in the third set, finding the toes of the Australian in the latter stages of the match to advance.

[BREAK POINT]

The 20-year-old Alcaraz is chasing a double prize this week in Cincinnati, where the battle for No. 1 is alive. If the Spaniard advances to his eighth final of the season, he is guaranteed to remain atop the Pepperstone ATP Rankings for a 34th week on Monday. If he fails to reach the championship match, Novak Djokovic would regain top spot by winning the title. The Serbian plays Taylor Fritz in the last eight.

Purcell, who upset World No. 7 Casper Ruud in the second round, is up 23 spots to No. 47 in the Pepperstone ATP Live Rankings. Last week the Australian overcame then-World No. 12 Felix Auger-Aliassime in Toronto.

Did You Know?
Alcaraz has spent eight hours and 22 minutes on court across his three matches in Cincinnati.

Back