What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Caribbean Matters: A visit to Loíza, Puerto Rico—which was almost left behind after Hurricane Fiona

Brexiter

Ten days after Hurricane Fiona first made landfall, Puerto Rico still does not have power in many areas of the island. The laborious process of cleaning up and attempting to salvage what islanders—many of whom had already lost so much five years ago in Hurricane Maria—lost in the devastating storm is disheartening.

The complicated and oppressive colonial relationship between the United States, its agencies, and Puerto Rico has been a roadblock to recovery in the past, illustrated clearly by the open neglect under the Trump regime. Many Puerto Ricans are wary about what the performance of the current Biden administration will be, and are taking a wait-and-see attitude.

Others continue to protest the presence of LUMA Energy, the Canadian-American corporation that took over power distribution on the island under the mandate of a U.S. government-appointed oversight board. Advocates for decolonization, like Alberto Medina, continue to make their case. Alternative energy solutions are available, which Daily Kos’ Meteor Blades recently argued for.

Caribbean Matters is a weekly series from Daily Kos. If you are unfamiliar with the region, check out Caribbean Matters: Getting to know the countries of the Caribbean.

When the initial list of Puerto Rican municipalities eligible for U.S. disaster aid was announced on Sept. 21, there was an outcry when Loíza was the one spot on the map left out in an area where all others seemed to have been included. For context: Loíza is the small white area found in the top right of the sea of red in the map below.

Fingers were pointed at both the Biden Administration and Puerto Rican Gov. Pedro Pierluisi.

President Biden declared a major disaster in most of Puerto Rico, but excluding (most notably) 1. The west, where hurricane Fiona made landfall 2. Loíza, noted Afro-Puerto Rican community https://t.co/rgUEmzfLW5 pic.twitter.com/jrovqTqpSW

— midnucas #FueraLUMA ?? (@midnucas) September 22, 2022

Amid outcry, the omissions were addressed, and three days later, more of Puerto Rico’s municipalities were included.

"Metrocentrist" is how some Puerto Ricans are describing the efforts to recover after #HurricaneFiona Today, FEMA updated the list of municipalities where residents can get assistance. It now includes Loíza and Arecibo, but many others are still missing. https://t.co/FukQL44MNq

— Coral Murphy Marcos (@coralmerfi) September 24, 2022

Yet it was another three days of advocacy before the entirety of Puerto Rico was eligible for disaster relief. The outcry speaks to an awareness of past problems and issues that have never been resolved.

Finally, FEMA included all 78 municipalities in #PuertoRico to major disaster declaration after #Fiona. Originally, many of most affected towns had been inexplicably excluded. A victory for community, NGO, and municipal advocacy. https://t.co/M3ysfyY2P2

— Dra. Mónica Feliú Mójer (@moefeliu) September 27, 2022

For those of you who don’t know the history of Loíza, it is one of the poorest areas of the island, and it is also one of the predominantly Black areas—a center of Afro-Boricua culture. There is a direct correlation between Loíza’s poverty and its Blackness. For a deeper dive, I’ve written about Loíza here in the past.

RELATED: Black History Month: The vejigante masks and bomba music of Puerto Rico

RELATED: Black History Month: Loiza—the African heart of Puerto Rico and the arts that portray it

Only two weeks before Fiona, Lola Rosario Aponte wrote a feature on Loíza for Latino Rebels.

Situated in the northeast region of Puerto Rico, Loíza has for decades captivated visitors. Affectionately labeled the “Capital of Tradition,” this coastal town is widely known for mouth-watering seafood, seemingly endless shorelines, and its spectacular annual week-long festival honoring Saint James.

And while many tourists venture outside of Old San Juan to experience the abundantly colorful sights and sounds this pueblo offers, they’ve only recently begun to see what loiceños have understood for generations: Loíza’s undisputed role as the mecca of Afro-Puerto Rican culture.

For outsiders to understand the issues regarding Loíza, a recent visit made to Loíza by Carlos Berríos Polanco, who can be found on Twitter as Vaquero2XL, may help. Polanco is a freelance Journalist and video essayist whose tweets always tell a story. Importantly, he gets the word out to people who don’t speak or read Spanish.

Here’s Polanco’s Sept. 25 Twitter thread depicting the aftermath, which you can also access via Threadreader.

2/x The first place I visited was the Batey de los Hermanos Ayala, a historic cultural center. That bright yellow building is a shop where they sell handmade drums and other instruments. Thankfully, it was relatively unaffected by the rain. pic.twitter.com/p6d1ugjWJM

— carlos (vibe describer) (@Vaquero2XL) September 25, 2022

4/x shop, says they’ll have to replace them. The zinc roof and the pylons holding them also need to replaced. He poured all his money into fixing parts of the property when he came from Massachusetts a few years ago. “I just can’t go on with this because I don’t have the… pic.twitter.com/22k5WaeThx

6/x Afterwards, he took me through the main house to show me damages they STILL HAVE from Hurricane María, five years ago. The back of their house still bears the blue tarps handed out then, meaning it was scheduled to be replaced. It has since collapsed pic.twitter.com/39Yqfj0j4t

8/x The main house, where legendary bomba dancer Raquel Ayala has lived all her life, is still liveable but is slowly falling apart from years of un-repaired hurricane damages. They don’t have the resources to fix any of it. Her father built most of the house entirely by hand. pic.twitter.com/ioRsH27VRL

10/x Sixto, who spent 40 years in Massachusetts before coming to PR, tells me he thinks more and more about returning after suffering natural disasters and poor living conditions on the archipelago. Thankfully, their water and electric has returned.

11/x Afterwards, we went to Villa Cristiana where there’s still gigantic puddles near the mangroves in the back of the neighborhood. pic.twitter.com/buvAFF7ffB

12/x Hurricane Fiona also left hundreds of dead fish littering the streets of Loíza, worrying residents about possible diseases. We were told that municipal government came to pick up dead fish yesterday. Regardless, there’s still a couple in the roads. https://t.co/ZKJjNwuSre pic.twitter.com/1YbhOuSmWd

14/x “yardstick” for whether to include certain municipalities or not. Loíza was included in the second addendum, though, which added four other municipalities as well. This allows residents to get $700 in individual assistance. https://t.co/80LBGu46AR

16/x around the area. State govt only came “after the water receded.” There was a group of church volunteers riding around in pick-ups handing out water and other resources to community neighbors affected by Maria.

18/x not dealt with, Dr. Grayson Brown w/ the Vector Control Unit tells me. They’ve visited “half a dozen places” checking for mosquitos that carry dengue. “It’s hard to stop an outbreak once it starts,” he continues. So, they’re plan is to spray a chemical that only…

19/x kills mosquitos in puddles across PR 4 times over 2 months to mitigate any possible outbreaks before they start. If an outbreak were to start, these communities would be dealing with them for ~2 years. The Vector Control Unit is currently requesting FEMA for more funding…

20/x buy more of the spray they need. Later, we went to Miñi Miñi, where there’s still lots of stuck water that could breed diseases. “This is going to take months to get dry,” neighbor Milisa Rivera Lacen tells me. This is the 4th flood they’ve seen while living here. pic.twitter.com/oQ1enBKaEL

21/x They tell me that a municipal truck came to pump water out but a lot still remains. “We feel as if [Loíza] isn’t part of PR. As if we weren’t on PR’s map,” she told me, referring to the municipality not being included in the original major disaster declaration. pic.twitter.com/GBCX9u6S5h

23/x flooding but they haven’t been able to get them out because of the flooding, which could become another vector for diseases. They’re both very thankful for the help they’ve received from their community, including Taller Salud which has helped a lot, they tell me.

25/x The mayor Julia Nazario claims that the massive flooding was caused by the Carraízo resevoir gates being opened not because of the rain from Hurricane Fiona. Multiple residents told me something similar. https://t.co/yp7o1aEgan

27/end left behind, like many other parts of PR, when it comes to reconstruction efforts by the state and federal government. Many fear that these overlapping crises will eventually destroy their homes and communities if they remain unaddressed.

Taller Salud, mentioned in Polanco’s story, is one of the many community-based organizations doing the work in Loíza. They have an English-language website to help convey the work they do to a larger audience on the mainland.

With that, I’ll let Polanco’s journalism end things this week. Look for even more updates on Puerto Rico in the comments, as well as the weekly Caribbean News Roundup.

Back