What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Daily Update – May 17th

Brexiter

Politics Live

4:57pm –
Amid quickly rising cases, Hancock is quick to repeat the message that people should get vaccinated as soon as possible.

Hancock rams it home to the vaccine hesitant: “Look at what has happened in Bolton: those who chose not to have the jab have ended up in hospital, some of them in intensive care. Vaccines save lives, Mr Speaker".

— Tom Newton Dunn (@tnewtondunn) May 17, 2021

3:59pm – A few people might raise their eyebrows at this statement…

Michael Fabricant, who earlier described pro-Palestinian protesters as “primitives”, currently in the commons saying “All racism, whether it be anti-Semitism or islamophobia or other forms…must be condemned."

— Mikey Smith (@mikeysmith) May 17, 2021

3:10pm – The government have put warnings out for people going to amber list countries.

Don’t travel to amber list countries, says No 10 despite no ban https://t.co/0QarZSmjcj

— Jessica Elgot (@jessicaelgot) May 17, 2021

2:44pm – This will go well I’m sure…

?
| NEW: The government have told people not to get too drunk inside pubs

Via @LBC

— Politics For All (@PoliticsForAlI) May 17, 2021

1:35pm – Not a good look for former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn the day after several people were arrested for anti-semitic chants in London.

"Jeremy Corbyn is the leader of the labour movement"

He sure is, George. He sure is. https://t.co/w4ORWeIGjo pic.twitter.com/U6C0LmYcUR

— Rich (@RickRoseland) May 17, 2021

1:19pm – There seem to be ever looming announcements that lockdown easing will be scaled back amid concerns about the Indian variant. Expect plenty of questions to be asked about whether the UK government should have placed India on the red list far earlier.

BREAKING Major updates this month on weddings and the end of social distancing – which Boris Johnson pledged just days ago – could now be delayed by Indian variant, No10 confirms https://t.co/1m1tG6jlSo

— Dan Bloom (@danbloom1) May 17, 2021

12:00pm – Are the government minister’s getting their priorities right? Hand washing was all the rave at the start of the pandemic, but most scientists agree now that it is a minor issue in comparison to proper ventilation.

Why, why, why are ministers on the radio still banging on about washing hands? Fine, wash them, but in the seconds available to convey vital public health messages it would SO MUCH BETTER to stress ventilation instead.

— Jessica Elgot (@jessicaelgot) May 17, 2021

10:46am – Let’s be frank, the British public aren’t renowned for behaving well on flights to Southern Europe at the best of times…

Just boarded a flight to Portugal for reporting purposes for @LBC. It’s almost full.

Actual announcement just now: “This isn’t a kindergarten, this is a two hour flight. If you can’t wear your masks you will be starting your holiday in Portugal in a police station”

— Charlotte Lynch (@charlotterlynch) May 17, 2021

9:30am – A reminder that while it’s fine to hug your family, don’t go around hugging strangers. Although you probably shouldn’t do that regardless of covid…

Contender for quote of the day from Sage's Professor Graham Medley on @LBC.

"I'll certainly hug my children and grandchildren and others very close to me.

"But will I be hugging strangers? No. But that will come as a relief to me because I don't really like hugging strangers."

— Theo Usherwood (@theousherwood) May 17, 2021

8:30am – There are concerns from members of SAGE that we are opening up too early amid concerns about the Indian variant.

JCVI's Prof Adam Finn tells Sky: "I really hope that the current concerns around this variant evaporate and that everything goes to plan. But I think we just have to accept the possibility that we’re in for another big wave and we will have to change what we’re doing."

— Dan Bloom (@danbloom1) May 17, 2021

8:15am – So what’s in the news this morning?

• Lockdown restrictions eased in many places across the UK despite concerns over Indian variant
  • Overseas travel rules due to change
  • MPs condemn anti-semitic chanting in London

8:00am – Welcome back to another week of Politics Live!

The post Daily Update – May 17th appeared first on Politics.co.uk.

Back