What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Djokovic Withdraws From Shanghai

Brexiter

Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the Rolex Shanghai Masters, the ATP Masters 1000 event to be played from 4-15 October.

“Over the years, some of the best support I receive anywhere in the world is in China,” Djokovic wrote on social media. “Shanghai has always been one of my favourite tournaments in the season. I will be missing my #NoleFam in China. I hope that I can come back to China in the future and play in front of all of you again.”

Over the years, some of the best support I receive anywhere in the world is in China. Shanghai has always been one of my favorite tournaments in the season. I will be missing my #NoleFam in China. I hope that I can come back to China in the future and play in front of all of you…

— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) September 17, 2023

Djokovic just won his 24th major title at the US Open after claiming his 39th Masters 1000 crown in Cincinnati.

The 36-year-old has won the Shanghai tournament four times and owns a 34-5 record at the event. The Serbian in 2008 triumphed at the Nitto ATP Finals when it was held in Shanghai.

[ATP APP]

Rolex Shanghai Masters Tournament Director Michael Luevano said in a press release: “It is disappointing not to have Novak at our tournament as it has always been a pleasure hosting him here. All of us wish him the very best. He has had a very full year and we hope he remains fit and healthy, and we definitely look forward to welcoming him back to the Rolex Shanghai Masters.

“This year’s tournament promises to be among the best we have ever staged. We are excited to welcome back our defending champion Daniil Medvedev along with some of the most exciting and brilliant young players in world tennis. Guys like Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz, Holger Rune and Jannik Sinner, who are all making the trip to Shanghai for the first time and will be joined by such popular figures like Stefanos Tsitsipas and Andrey Rublev.”

The Rolex Shanghai Masters, Asia’s only Masters 1000 tournament, will have a 96 singles draw, offer prize money of more than US$8.8million and will be played over two weeks for the first time.

Back