What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

From Virat Kohli to Rohit Sharma: Cricket fraternity pays tribute to AB de Villiers following his retirement

Brexiter

Virat Kohli, Ab de Villiers, Rohit Sharma
South African legend AB de Villiers announced retirement from all formats of cricket on November 19, 2021. The former Proteas skipper was already away from international cricket since 2018 but continued playing in the T20 leagues around the world. But, now, he has retired from all the forms of the fascinating game.

“It has been an incredible journey, but I have decided to retire from all cricket. Ever since the backyard matches with my older brothers, I have played the game with pure enjoyment and unbridled enthusiasm. Now, at the age of 37, that flame no longer burns so brightly,” tweeted de Villiers.

It has been an incredible journey, but I have decided to retire from all cricket.

Ever since the back yard matches with my older brothers, I have played the game with pure enjoyment and unbridled enthusiasm. Now, at the age of 37, that flame no longer burns so brightly. pic.twitter.com/W1Z41wFeli

— AB de Villiers (@ABdeVilliers17) November 19, 2021

Following de Villiers’ retirement, the cricket fraternity paid tribute to the legendary South African batsman.

Indian captain Virat Kohli, who is the teammate of de Villiers in Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), wrote a heartfelt note for his best friend and brother.

“To the best player of our times and the most inspirational person I’ve met, you can be very proud of what you’ve done and what you’ve given to RCB, my brother. Our bond is beyond the game and will always be. This hurts my heart, but I know you’ve made the best decision for yourself and your family like you’ve always done. I love you, @ABdeVilliers17,” tweeted Kohli.

This hurts my heart but I know you've made the best decision for yourself and your family like you've always done. ?I love you ? @ABdeVilliers17

— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) November 19, 2021

Former Australian all-rounder Shane Watson took to his official Twitter handle and wrote: “The biggest congratulations to @ABdeVilliers17 on a mind-blowing cricket career. The things you did on the cricket field, us mere mortals, could only watch on in awe. And to go with it, the sweetest and kindest teammate I have ever played with. Enjoy the next exciting phase.”

The biggest congratulations to @ABdeVilliers17 on a mind-blowing cricket career. The things you did on the cricket field, us mere mortals could only watch on in awe.
And to go with it, the sweetest and kindest teammate I have ever played with.
Enjoy the next exciting phase.

— Shane Watson (@ShaneRWatson33) November 19, 2021

Newly-appointed India’s T20I captain Rohit Sharma sent his best wishes to de Villiers and said it was always a pleasure to watch the batting phenom.

“Not many people have had the impact on the game like AB did. It was indeed a pleasure to watch him play from the other side. Happy retirement AB, best wishes to and your family @ABdeVilliers17,” wrote Rohit on the micro-blogging website.

Not many people have had the impact on the game like AB did. It was indeed a pleasure to watch him play from the other side. Happy retirement AB, best wishes to and your family @ABdeVilliers17

— Rohit Sharma (@ImRo45) November 20, 2021

Here is how other cricketers reacted:​

Congratulations on a great career @ABdeVilliers17 ??. It was wonderful watching you bat all these years and good luck with what lies ahead ??

— Ashwin ?? (@ashwinravi99) November 20, 2021

Congratulations on a phenomenal career @ABdeVilliers17 ?? One of the most loved and admired cricketers of the modern era. Happy retirement legend. #ThankYouAB pic.twitter.com/1CNOiVfHte

— Wasim Jaffer (@WasimJaffer14) November 19, 2021

Looked up to in my early cricket days and it’s been an honour to play against you ? Good luck @ABdeVilliers17 and thank you for everything you’ve done for cricket ? https://t.co/iLqqdqy6ax

— Shreyas Iyer (@ShreyasIyer15) November 19, 2021

All the best champion in your second innings. We thoroughly enjoyed your batting exploits over the years sometimes at the receiving end but what a career! Truly inspirational and path breaking. Happy retirement #legend !

— Anil Kumble (@anilkumble1074) November 19, 2021

@ABdeVilliers17 what a player . A TALENT only of its kind. All da best in future.

— Salman Butt (@im_SalmanButt) November 19, 2021

Congratulations on an incredible career @ABdeVilliers17. You are an absolute legend of the game. Wishing you the best for your next innings.#ABdeVilliers #RCB #BCCI #DelhiCapitals #SouthAfrica #Legend pic.twitter.com/diSN0emMUu

— Amit Mishra (@MishiAmit) November 19, 2021

Absolutely loved watching @ABdeVilliers17 play the game .. You could argue across all formats that he was as good on the eye of anyone who has played the game .. #ABDevilliers #Legend

— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) November 19, 2021

It's been a legendary journey gentleman. Here's to the best days ahead of us.. congrats on a sterling career @ABdeVilliers17 just a chilled day in the Caribbean sitting between 2 GOATS ? of the game.. privileged to have shared the field with them? @DaleSteyn62 pic.twitter.com/HKfUfztj4b

— JP Duminy (@jpduminy21) November 19, 2021

Congratulations @ABdeVilliers17 on an outstanding career and thank you for showing how to evolve and add new dimensions to one’s skill set! I believe someone who can come close to you in the years to come will be @surya_14kumar, the onus is on you fella ?

— Pragyan Ojha (@pragyanojha) November 19, 2021

What a player! I was one of so many who would turn on the tv just to watch you bat. Enjoy retirement, what a career. https://t.co/ShOBmjWYSw

— Jos Buttler (@josbuttler) November 19, 2021

One of the greats @ABdeVilliers17 and toughest I’ve had the pleasure to bowl to, he was a game changer!
Best wishes on your next chapter. pic.twitter.com/A2Gg3bk7LJ

— Chaminda Vaas (@chaminda_vaas) November 20, 2021

Thank you @ABdeVilliers17 for giving wonderful moments in world cricket. Happy retirement and best of luck for your next innings. We will always miss you in cricketing field.❤️ pic.twitter.com/RLvI0CRep3

— Sandeep Lamichhane (@Sandeep25) November 19, 2021

– Keep getting them by surprise @ABdeVilliers17, best wishes for the new beginnings…#ABDevilliers #Cricket pic.twitter.com/slLf82Z5Lq

— Shoaib Malik ?? (@realshoaibmalik) November 19, 2021

Congratulations on a remarkable career ⁦@ABdeVilliers17⁩ mr360 u lit the cricketing world and it was a pleasure to play against you!! Happy retirement pic.twitter.com/5evzucjH2T

— Angelo Mathews (@Angelo69Mathews) November 19, 2021

We have all watched you play @ABdeVilliers17 , both with bat in hand, and in the field, and just shaken our heads in disbelief at your insane ability. Well done on an amazing career, swing those golf clubs easy

— Jonty Rhodes (@JontyRhodes8) November 19, 2021

Congratulations on having such a massive career @ABdeVilliers17 ??
The game will definitely not be the same without you, legend ??
Wish you all the best for the next chapter #GOAT ?

— Surya Kumar Yadav (@surya_14kumar) November 20, 2021

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back