What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Giron Edges Wawrinka In Astana

Brexiter

Marcos Giron overcame Stan Wawrinka in a first-round thriller at the Astana Open, where he clawed past the 38-year-old 6-7(6), 7-6(4), 7-6(8) at the ATP 250 event.

Competing against each other for the first time, there was little to separate the pair throughout the two-hour, 51-minute clash. Neither player faced a break point, with both dictating behind serve. In the third-set tie-break, Giron played consistently, limiting mistakes to pressure former World No. 3 Wawrinka and seal victory.

The American has now earned 20 tour-level wins this season. He achieved a personal-best 23 victories in 2021. Aiming to close that target further, the World No. 82 will next face Dominic Thiem, who fought off a second-set scare, saving three set points, to down Juan Pablo Varillas 6-3, 7-6(8). The Austrian won 80 per cent of his first-serve points, compared to his opponent’s 68 per cent to advance after two hours, 11 minutes.

“I’m really happy that I came through. It was a tough match against a tough opponent,” Thiem said. “Last match against him I lost, in Buenos Aires. I started very well. It was my first match since the US Open, after I had to do a break because of my stomach. I’m really happy to get the win. I got a little bit tight, it was a very close in the second set… It’s very important to be through in two sets.”

Earlier, Adrian Mannarino clinched his 33rd tour-level win of the year to equal his personal-best season. The Frenchman, who earned 33 victories in 2017, defeated Arthur Rinderknech 7-6(4), 6-2.

The World No. 34 will next meet Alibek Kachmazov after the World No. 315 overcame Corentin Moutet 6-3, 7-6(5) in two hours and seven minutes.

Austrian qualifier Jurij Rodionov earned just his second tour-level win of the season, downing Gregoire Barrere 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(5). Rodionov saved two match points on serve at 4-5 in the third set before advancing in the tie-break. He will next meet second seed Sebastian Baez.

Qualifier Egor Gerasimov defeated Spaniard Bernabe Zapata Miralles 7-6(5), 6-3, while Sho Shimabukuro beat Roberto Carballes Baena 6-2, 6-4.

Back