What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Harry Brook spills beans about his captaincy plans for England

Brexiter

Harry Brook openly speaks about his captaincy plans for England
Harry Brook, the rising star of English cricket, has poured cold water on speculation linking him with the England white-ball captaincy. The explosive batter, who has taken the Test world by storm, insists his focus remains firmly on cementing his place in the longest format of the game.

Harry Brook’s focus on Test cricket

The Yorkshireman is set to take on his first captaincy role in the Hundred, leading the Northern Superchargers. While flattered by the suggestion of a potential international leadership role, Brook believes it is too early in his career to consider such a position.

“For now, I don’t see anything happening any time soon. So I’ll just stay in the moment and focus on Test cricket,” Brook told BBC.

Brook’s captaincy experience in The Hundred

Brook will be under the watchful eye of former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff as he takes the reins of the Superchargers. Flintoff believes Brook has the potential to be a successful captain and has encouraged him to take on the role.

The Yorkshireman has outlined his leadership style, suggesting a relaxed and player-centric approach. He believes that creating a positive and pressure-free environment will allow players to thrive.

“Fred [Flintoff] just asked me if I wanted to be captain [in the Hundred], he thought I’d do a decent job. So we’ll see how we go. I miss the first couple of games but I think I’ll be a fairly chilled captain. We’ve said all training will be optional. There’ll be nothing put on you as a player; just be chilled, relaxed, Go out there and express yourself and play,” Brook explained.

Also READ: ICC Test Rankings: Harry Brook climbs to career-high 3rd position, Virat Kohli remains in the top 10

England’s white-ball future

When asked about the possibility of a leadership change in the England white-ball setup, Brook was quick to deflect the question.

“Wow. That’s way above my pay grade,” he laughed.

Despite his impressive form in all formats, the young batter is keen to establish himself as a consistent performer in Test cricket before considering any leadership ambitions.

“This is my first captaincy role with the Superchargers. We’ll see how that goes and then maybe I’ll have a different answer in a couple of months. I don’t see anything happening any time soon, so I’ll just stay in the moment and focus on Test cricket,” Brook added.

With England’s white-ball future uncertain following their disappointing World Cup campaigns, Brook’s name is likely to be mentioned in discussions about potential successors to Jos Buttler. However, for now, the talented batter is content to concentrate on his own game and the challenges that lie ahead.

Also READ: Will Eoin Morgan be the next coach of England? World-Cup winning captain shares his opinion

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back