What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

IND vs AUS: Fans slam Harbhajan Singh for his controversial remarks on Anushka Sharma and Athiya Shetty – ODI World Cup 2023 Final

Brexiter

Harbhajan Singh on Anushka Sharma and Athiya Shetty
The ODI World Cup 2023 final between India and Australia at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad took an unexpected turn when former Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh stirred controversy with his remarks on Bollywood actresses Anushka Sharma and Athiya Shetty.

Harbhajan Singh’s controversial commentary​

Harbhajan, who was part of the commentary panel for the high-stakes final, made controversial comments while Anushka and Athiya were spotted conversing in the stadium during the match. Expressing his thoughts, Harbhajan questioned their understanding of the game.

“Yahi main soch raha tha ki baat cricket ki ho rahi hogi ya phir films ki..kyunki cricket ke baare mein toh main jaanta nahi kitni samajh hogi (This is what I was thinking if they are talking about cricket or films..Because I don’t know how much they understand cricket),” said Harbhajan during his commentary stint.

Social media backlash​

The moment Harbhajan’s comments reached the public domain, social media platforms, particularly X (formerly Twitter), erupted with criticism. Fans and users expressed their disapproval of Harbhajan’s remarks, emphasizing the need for respectful and unbiased commentary during such crucial matches.

Also READ: ODI World Cup 2023 – Pitch invader breaches security to hug Virat Kohli during IND vs AUS final

Fans took to social media to voice their discontent with Harbhajan’s comments, calling them inappropriate and uncalled for. Many users criticized the veteran spinner for diverting the focus from the intense match to personal remarks about the actresses. His controversial commentary quickly became the talk of the town, overshadowing the on-field action. The incident has reignited discussions about the role of commentators in maintaining the spirit of the game and avoiding unnecessary controversies.

Also WATCH: IAF’s Surya Kiran Aerobatic Team wows with a dazzling air show at Narendra Modi Stadium – ODI World Cup 2023 final, IND vs AUS

Here is how fans reacted:​

“I don’t think they are discussing Cricket, I doubt they know much about it”
@harbhajan_singh made this sexist comment against Anushka & Athiya pic.twitter.com/MN1JWZ2M9c

— Shashank Shekhar Jha (@shashank_ssj) November 19, 2023

harbhajan singh in the comm box just said "idk if they're (anushka and athiya) talking about cricket or films, I don't think they have much knowledge about cricket"

— rea (@reaadubey) November 19, 2023

Did Harbhajan Singh doing commentary just say that Anushka and Athiya probably don't know much about cricket? Vile

— Ria Chopra 🐍 (@riachops) November 19, 2023

Harbhajan Singh suggesting Anushka and Athiya lack cricket knowledge, saying ‘I don’t know if they’re talking about cricket or films, I don’t think they know much about cricket.’ Just doesn’t sit right, not coool

— Akriti Sharma (@akritiisharma) November 19, 2023

What’s with Harbhajan Singh’s misogynist comments on Anushka and Athiya?! “I don’t know if they’re talking about cricket or films, I don’t think they know much about cricket” Can the others in the commentary box ask him to stick to talking about those on the field? #CWC23Final pic.twitter.com/ubM25GscnG

— Shilpa  (@shilpakannan) November 19, 2023

Not only does Harbhajan Singh cry about his ex team mate on Twitter 24*7, he also sits and passes extremely misogynistic comments, today about Anushka and Athiya Shetty, during his commentary stint. Never seen a more shameless man. Pathetic 👎🏻

— Bhavya M. (@BhavyaaDhoni) November 19, 2023

harbhajan casually being sexist towards anushka sharma and athiya shetty but people will tell you to “switch to english commentary if you dont like it”

— sia ²⁴ (@fcbsiaaaa) November 19, 2023

Harbhajan's comment about Anushka and Athiya not knowing anything about cricket was just so not cool. Not expected from him#INDvAUS

Thanks @abhinn

— Mr Coffee Bean (@moreovercoffee) November 19, 2023

“Shayad filmon ki baatein hori hai ya cricket ki, pata nahi cricket ki kitni samajh hogi”, said Harbhajan while the camera was on Anushka and Athiya 😂😂

— Moana (@ladynationalist) November 19, 2023

Harbhajan Singh on Anushka Athiya chatting "Movies ke baare me baat kar rahe honge , cricket ka kya hi knowledge hoga " 💀💀💀💀

— Niki (@niki_naughty) November 19, 2023

Harbhajan Singh needs to think before he speaks. What the hell do you mean by saying that Anushka and Athiya will be talking about movies and not about cricket because they have little understanding of the game. Their spouses play cricket so why won't they have the knowledge?

— Lucifer (@Lucifer_Bhai) November 19, 2023

Official response awaited​

As the backlash continues to grow, it remains to be seen how the cricketing community and broadcasting authorities will respond to Harbhajan’s comments. The incident has brought attention to the responsibility that comes with being in the commentary box, especially during major sporting events.

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back