What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Jan. 6 committee chair comes down with COVID-19 but the hearing on Thursday is still on

Brexiter

The chairman of the House Select Committee Investigating the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol has contracted COVID-19 just days before the probe is poised to present its eighth and potentially final public hearing. This turn of events will not alter the schedule for the Jan. 6 committee this week.

In a statement Tuesday, Thompson said his symptoms were mild because he was vaccinated and boosted.

I tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday, and I am experiencing mild symptoms. Gratefully, I am fully vaccinated and boosted. I encourage each person in America to get vaccinated and continue to follow the guidelines to remain safe. pic.twitter.com/brHXGlWmfq

— Bennie G. Thompson (@BennieGThompson) July 19, 2022

In a statement, a committee spokesperson said Thompson was “disappointed,” but he has ordered the committee to proceed.

Per the @January6thCmte, no changes to this week's schedule: "While Chairman Thompson is disappointed with his COVID diagnosis, he has instructed the Select Committee to proceed with Thursday evening’s hearing. Committee members and staff wish the Chairman a speedy recovery.” https://t.co/xfAX4Q4dF2

— Brandi Buchman (@Brandi_Buchman) July 19, 2022

The session Thursday will be led by Reps. Adam Kinzinger and Elaine Luria. Together, the lawmakers will pore over the three-hour period on Jan. 6 where they say former President Donald Trump ignored pleas for help and passively watched as a mob of his supporters laid siege to Congress and the U.S. Capitol.

RELATED STORY; A brutal silence: Jan. 6 probe will expose depths of Trump’s ‘dereliction’

Back