What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Jan. 6 committee shares new evidence of Trump's refusal to condemn actions of the mob he assembled

Brexiter

New testimony from Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner, Eric Herschmann, and others reveal they had to practically beg former President Donald Trump to give a speech on Jan. 7 denouncing the insurrection on Jan. 6.

According to Cassidy Hutchinson, talk of invoking the 25th Amendment was the real reason Trump eventually spoke. His staff was concerned that if he didn’t condemn the riot on the Capitol, the U.S. Senate could replace him with Vice President Pence, as Trump would be deemed unfit to lead. “You need this as cover,” Hutchinson said in her testimony about conversations about Trump on the evening of Jan. 6.

The newly released testimony also shows Trump’s edited draft of his speech. As Jonathan Karl, of ABC News tweeted, “He deleted any mention of DOJ prosecuting the rioters. And he crossed out this message to those who committed the violence: ‘I want to be very clear, you do not represent me. You do not represent our movement.’”

RELATED STORY: Ashli Babbitt’s mother believes her daughter would’ve been treated differently if she were Black

These are Trump’s handwritten edits to his January 7 statement. He deleted any mention of DOJ prosecuting the rioters. And he he crossed out this message to those who committed the violence: “I want to be very clear, you do not represent me. You do not represent our movement.” pic.twitter.com/5ftNDSRYVM

— Jonathan Karl (@jonkarl) July 25, 2022

Trump also resisted saying those who stormed the Capitol “belong in jail,” and instead wrote in that they “will pay.”

As Daily Kos’ Brandi Buchman recently reported, Trump struggled with the speech he wanted to give versus the speech he finally gave.

“I don't want to say the election is over, I just want to say Congress has certified the results without saying the election is over, okay?” Trump said during his speech rehearsal on Jan. 7.

The raw footage presented by the committee on July 21 highlighted the extreme reluctance by the former president to take any action in the 187 minutes between the end of his rally speech at the Ellipse instructing attendees to march to the Capitol and the moment he tweeted a video instructing the insurrectionists to stop their attack.

YouTube Video

And as Rep. Elaine Luria of Virginia tweeted, “It took more than 24 hours for President Trump to address the nation again after his Rose Garden video on January 6th in which he affectionately told his followers to go home in peace.”

It took more than 24 hours for President Trump to address the nation again after his Rose Garden video on January 6th in which he affectionately told his followers to go home in peace. There were more things he was unwilling to say. pic.twitter.com/cJBIX5ROxs

— Rep. Elaine Luria (@RepElaineLuria) July 25, 2022

More than anything, what this latest information reveals is that the Jan. 6 committee is digging up more dirt daily. By the time the public hearings begin again in September, the focus will be clear: Trump wanted the insurrection.

He and his people planned for it. When it happened, he did nothing to stop it. And finally, when it was over, he had no intention of denouncing it until his team appealed to his outsized ego and told him he’d be out on his ass if he didn’t say something about it.

Rep. Elaine Luria on the Jan. 6 Committee: "The floodgates have opened. I think when we initially planned the arc of the story, the information … we thought that the hearing this week would be the final hearing. But so many more witnesses have come forward." @NBCNews

— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 25, 2022

Sign the petition: Don't let the Jan. 6 Committee's work go to waste. DOJ must investigate and prosecute Donald Trump

Back