What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Jesy Nelson Responds To Accusations Of Blackfishing After Releasing Debut Solo Single Boyz

Brexiter

Jesy Nelson as seen in her debut solo music video

Jesy Nelson has addressed accusations of Blackfishing following the release of her debut solo single.

The former Little Mix star has previously been accused of cultural appropriation dating back to 2018, with some of her more recent social media posts and photo-shoots facing criticism on social media for alleged Blackfishing.

Blackfishing refers to when non-Black people alter their appearance or “take on a characteristic associated with a Black person’s phenotype” for profit or commercial gain.

When the music video for Boyz – Jesy’s first single since leaving Little Mix – debuted on Friday, many voiced their discomfort with the clip, highlighting it as an example of Blackfishing:

Jesy Nelson drops the music video for “Boyz” ft. Nicki Minaj.

Watch: https://t.co/KSe2ZDLQwfpic.twitter.com/RzEthbrMNi

— Pop Base (@PopBase) October 8, 2021

Jesy Nelson’s solo debut #Boyz is cute and the video was a fun 00s throwback. But it’s 4 minutes of blatant cultural appropriation:

- The Blackfishing
- Lowriders and bikes
- Gold teeth
- The Blackfishing
- The aesthetic
- The hair
- The lollipops
- THE BLACKFISHING

??? pic.twitter.com/YtZ3qzRxZy

— Skylar Ezell is a Black, Broke, and Bougie Writer (@Skylar_Writer) October 8, 2021

Jesy Nelson gets accused of blackfishing and appropriating black culture, so makes a music video about how much she loves “hood boyz” whilst continuing to cosplay a black woman? Ok, makes sense

— Floss (@Fl0ssB) October 8, 2021

I'm not sure Jesy Nelson knows this but you can create R&B and Rap music without blackfishing. I can say I will listen to the song to see how I like it but the video is a no in my book cause I've seen enough pics from it to know what it is.

— Cherrelle (@relleunique) October 8, 2021

That whole ‘boyz’ video was soooo uncomfortable. At this point jesy nelson is blackfishing so hard. Yeah ain’t about it at all.

— actorvist (@yasminlilix) October 8, 2021

I’m sorry, but how does #JesyNelson continuously get away with very apparent and unapologetic blackfishing? Y’all can feel bad for her and still hold her accountable, I’m confused.

— Deb (@lildebby2002) October 8, 2021

"So hood, so good, so damn taboo"

Naur keep that. https://t.co/SXl56ZBGFc

— ??‍♀️Spoopy Idris Grey? (@TheGreyIdris) October 8, 2021

“So hood, so good, so damn taboo.” - Jesy Nelson, 2021. Taboo?? Please elaborate

— Guerrilla Poet, Ty’rone Haughton (@poetrypapi_) October 8, 2021

During an interview with Vulture published on Friday after Boyz was released, the chart-topping singer was asked for her thoughts on the controversy.

She said: “The whole time I was in Little Mix I never got any of that. And then I came out of [the band] and people all of a sudden were saying it.

“I wasn’t on social media around that time, so I let my team [deal with it], because that was when I’d just left.

“But I mean, like, I love Black culture. I love Black music. That’s all I know; it’s what I grew up on. I’m very aware that I’m a white British woman; I’ve never said that I wasn’t.”

When asked if she felt she had “changed the way she acts or dresses”, Jesy responded: “Not at all. I’m just 100 percent being myself.

“If you look at me on X Factor with my big curly hair, I was wearing trainers and combats — that’s who I am as an artist and as Jesy. Now I’m out of Little Mix, I’ve gone back to being who I am.

“Like I said, I don’t ever want to be an artist who’s being told what to wear or what music to make. I want to be authentic and true to myself, and if people don’t like that, don’t be my fan. Don’t be a part of my journey.”

Jesy Nelson pictured earlier this week during a run of press interviews

Vulture claimed that Jesy subsequently “cancelled two scheduled follow-up calls to discuss Blackfishing and identity in greater detail”.

Her publicist did supply a statement from Jesy on the subject, which said: “I take all those comments made seriously. I would never intentionally do anything to make myself look racially ambiguous, so that’s why I was initially shocked that the term was directed at me.”

Jesy previously told The Guardian on the matter over the summer: “I would never want to offend anyone, and [being accused of Blackfishing] was really upsetting. I wasn’t aware that’s how people felt.”

In December 2020, Jesy announced she was leaving Little Mix after nine years with the X Factor-winning group, telling fans at the time that being part of the band was affecting her mental health.

Little Mix performing as a four-piece in 2019

Defending her decision to go solo in a recent interview on Fearne Cotton’s podcast, she insisted: “I think a lot of people have misconstrued what I meant in my statement… I never said in my statement, ‘I’m coming out of the music industry, I’m not going to do music anymore...’

“I said, ‘I’m just going to start a new chapter of my life, I just want to make myself happy. I don’t know what that’s going to be, but I need to look after myself now, make myself feel better again’.”

Jesy also insisted earlier this week that while she is no longer in contact with her former bandmates, she still “loves them” and considers them “sisters”.

“I can’t explain it, it’s like there has to be this distance,” she told Glamour magazine. “We were so close so you can’t do in-between, there has to be space.”

“Hopefully at some point in the future we can all come back together. I love them. They are my sisters in so many ways, but for the time being we just don’t talk.”

READ MORE:​

Back