What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Richard Madeley Criticised After Asking Woman Whose Drink Was Spiked If She 'Took Precautions'

Brexiter

Richard Madeley

Richard Madeley has faced criticism on social media after asking a woman whose drink was spiked in a nightclub if she’d “taken precautions”.

The presenter was accused of victim blaming as he and Susanna Reid interviewed Jemma Wolstenholme on Thursday’s edition of Good Morning Britain.

Jemma appeared on the ITV breakfast show to discuss having her drink spiked in a nightclub just months before her sister was spiked with a needle, amid reports of an increase of women being injected with substances on nights out.

'When it happened to me I was more scared but then when it happen to my sister it just made me really angry.'

Leah's sister Jemma had her drink spiked in a nightclub just a couple of months before Leah was spiked by a needle. pic.twitter.com/D4avLGDf2l

— Good Morning Britain (@GMB) October 21, 2021

Jemma explained that after she’d begun to feel unwell when she was spiked, her friend put in her a taxi home, to which Richard said: “But had you been taking precautions?

“Obviously you’re aware of the risk of drinks being spiked – had you been trying to protect your drink? Had you kept your hand over it? Had you kept it with you, do you remember that?”

Jemma said that it had been “second nature” to do so, explaining: “We have been told for so long that we should be careful who is near our drinks. So if I did leave it, it was left with my friend and it was ‘Watch my drink’.

“And we were sat at a table and it wasn’t particularly busy where we were sat, so it’s still a bit of a mystery as to how it happened, but you see people finding opportunities wherever they can and all it would have taken was one tiny distraction.”

It was at this point that Richard’s co-host Susanna interjected and insisted: “Honestly Jemma, it’s not your responsibility to take the precautions to stop someone who does maliciously put something in your drink, I mean how on earth anybody is expected to constantly watch a drink I don’t know.”

Richard did say he “absolutely” agreed with Susanna, but many people on social media were not happy with the questions he directed at Jemma.

Woman gets spiked and @richardm56 decides to ask HER had she done everything to protect herself .. are you for real ??? How about stop spiking the women (and men) ?@GMB@susannareid100 steps in later on but can’t actually believe this ?.. #gmbpic.twitter.com/ktbHZCahsN

— From Evija with Love (@EvijawithLove) October 21, 2021

Richard Madeley condemned for ‘victim-blaming’ GMB guest who was spiked during night out - ⁦@richardm56⁩ how can a person take precautions, against spiking? You are blaming victims. That is middle class male white privilege right there! STOP FFS! https://t.co/xwZvfrsShU

— Kweku Akan (@AkanKwaku) October 21, 2021

Thank goodness @susannareid100 made the point that it is not the woman's responsibility to make sure she is not spiked! Utterly ridiculous question from @richardm56

— Jacqueline Mitchell (@jjmitchell26) October 21, 2021

“Richard Madeley” quizzing a victim if she took precautions to prevent her drink being spiked, a bit like asking a supermarket if they took precautions against shoplifters….. pic.twitter.com/IzzxrrjNC8

— Anthony (@Anthony41806183) October 21, 2021

First the Police Commissioner, or whoever he was, telling us we need to be more 'road smart' to avoid rape.

Today, Richard Madeley asking a girl that was spiked in a club whether she took 'precautions'.

What the hell. @GMB@susannareid100 quickly tried to clear up his mess.

— Kirsty Mainwaring (@kirstyyyyyy) October 21, 2021

Of course Richard Madeley is having a go at the young girl who was spiked asking her “what precautions did you take? Did you watch your drink?” ?
Susannah finally interrupts him and says it’s not her fault.
Argh. #GMB

— Jennifer Beattie (@nowMrsMFL) October 21, 2021

What is Richard Madeley doing victim blaming - asking the young girl did she not look after her drink - this is the shameful attitude the U.K. needs to stop - it’s men’s attitude needs changing not women’s - shocking shame on GMB

— Scotland Forver (@atforsyth) October 21, 2021

Horrible spiking stories on @GMB today. And what’s the first thing Richard Madeley asks a victim of drink spiking? “Did you watch your drink the whole time to ensure it was safe?”

YES RICHARD ONCE AGAIN LET'S ENSURE THAT IT'S ON WOMEN TO ENSURE THESE THINGS DON’T HAPPEN. ?

— Gary Wilson ? (@garyrwilson) October 21, 2021

Did @richardm56 really ask that young girl if she took precautions to protect her drink? I really enjoy him on the programme but sometimes he just says stupid things. I'm a little angry.

— Dina Dillin (@dinabethdillin) October 21, 2021

@susannareid100 yes susanna! Not our responsibility to watch our drink, called out Richard Madeley there. Stop trying to blame women for men's criminality Richard.

— Steph Cassidy (@mrsscassidy) October 21, 2021

@GMB poor @Susanne can't seem to get a word in as @richardm56 can't seem to shut up! And how could @richardm56 ask a victim of drink spiking if she was making an effort to protect her drink. Talk about #victimblaming

— Sherie Harris (@bouncingberrie) October 21, 2021

@richardm56@GMB why is the onus on the girl you are interviewing to take precautions and cover her drink? The onus is on the person not to spike her drink surely?! It appears you are insinuating it was her fault?? #GMB

— Jennifer Woods (@JenyRose87) October 21, 2021

Good Morning Britain airs weekdays at 6am on ITV.

READ MORE:​

Back