What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

• No links are allowed for first ten posts, this is to combat spammers. There after links must be relevant.

Sonego Ends Berrettini’s Stuttgart Streak

Brexiter

Lorenzo Sonego succeeded where nine of Matteo Berrettini’s previous BOSS OPEN opponents had failed on Monday in Stuttgart.

The World No. 41 Sonego ended Berrettini’s unbeaten record at the grass-court ATP 250 by racing to a 6-1, 6-2 victory against his fellow Italian. Sonego produced an authoritative performance to avenge his 2022 Stuttgart quarter-final defeat to Berrettini, who appeared to be struggling physically for much of the match.

Professional performance ‼️

Sonego takes out defending champion Berrettini 6-1 6-2!@boss__open | #BossOpen pic.twitter.com/aeuQzM8nJI

— ATP Tour (@atptour) June 12, 2023

“It’s tough,” said Sonego in his on-court interview when asked about Berrettini, who lifted the trophy on his previous Stuttgart appearances in 2019 and 2022. “I’m not happy because he’s my best friend on Tour and it’s tough to see him like that. I hope the best for him in the next tournament.

“Today I played my best tennis. This is my first tournament on grass, my first match, and I played really well. I’m really happy about that.”

Sonego saved all six points he faced in the 71-minute encounter to notch his first Top 30 win on grass. The Italian is now 16-14 for the 2023 season and arrived in Germany off the back of a run to the fourth round at Roland Garros. His second-round opponent will be home favourite Daniel Altmaier or Christopher O’Connell.

Another Italian, Lorenzo Musetti, had no trouble booking his second-round spot in Stuttgart. The sixth seed downed qualifier Borna Gojo 7-6(4), 6-3 for his maiden tour-level victory on grass at the fifth attempt.

Musetti saved a set point in the 10th game en route to the first set against Gojo before claiming the only break of the match in the second to seal an 89-minute win. The Italian, who rose to a career-high No. 17 in the Pepperstone ATP Rankings on Monday after his fourth-round run at Roland Garros, will play Oscar Otte or Gregoire Barrere in the second round.

Musetti’s fellow 21-year-old Jiri Lehecka also notched his first tour-level win on grass with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 win against Marcos Giron. The No. 37 ranked Czech now prepares for his maiden ATP Head2Head meeting against third seed Frances Tiafoe in the second round.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Back