What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Testimonials to legendary actor Ed Asner's activism pour in after his death at 91

Brexiter

When Ed Asner died at 91 on Aug. 29, the headlines largely focused on his legendary role as Lou Grant, the “gruff but lovable newsman” who debuted on The Mary Tyler Moore Show before being spun off into the lead of Lou Grant. Asner’s achievements as an actor are undeniable: He won seven Emmy Awards, five of them for Lou Grant—three as a supporting actor in a comedy and two as a lead actor in a drama. He also won Emmy Awards for roles in Rich Man, Poor Man, and Roots. Late in life he gained fame with a new generation for his roles in Elf and Up.

But as much as he was an actor, Asner was an activist. He remained convinced that the 1982 cancellation of Lou Grant was because of his politics, not because of the show’s ratings: The show was cancelled just three months after Asner participated in a high-profile fundraising drive for medical aid to leftist rebels fighting a U.S.-backed military dictatorship in El Salvador. In 2003, Asner told the Deseret News that any regrets he had about his activism were “Never for myself. Only for the people I put out of work.”

Asner was active in a three-month Screen Actors Guild (SAG)/AFTRA strike in 1980. The next year, he became SAG’s president, serving until 1985. Asner remained active in the union, joining a lawsuit against cuts to its health care plan in 2020, and in the last weeks of his life, several times he tweeted support for the insurgent Membership First candidates in SAG/AFTRA’s current election.

In the wake of his death, many people offered testimonials to Asner’s activism and generosity in service of causes he believed in.

In 2012, after @KevinAllman reported that Times-Picayune reporters were posting Lou Grant pictures during the massive layoffs, I was able to reach Ed Asner to see if he would sign a "Save the Times-Picayune" petition. Here was his perfect response. #RIPEdAsner pic.twitter.com/i7mIFZ62iR

— Michael Tisserand (@m_tisserand) August 29, 2021

Farm workers mourn the passing of actor and activist Ed Asner, who championed Cesar Chavez and the UFW since the 1970s. https://t.co/eEfmPB6lV0 pic.twitter.com/PMlPNibu0D

— United Farm Workers (@UFWupdates) August 29, 2021

Rest in power Ed Asner, a proud and outspoken activist and early advisory board member of our sister organization @jvplive https://t.co/Lqc4o7fCa0

— Jewish Voice for Peace Action #SaveSheikhJarrah (@JvpAction) August 30, 2021

Sad to learn of Ed Asner’s passing—he was not only an inspiring actor, but a lifelong activist who spoke out early and often against U.S. intervention and destabilization in #ElSalvador. https://t.co/UFoDtCjvHB

— Rep. Jim McGovern (@RepMcGovern) August 29, 2021

will never forget at my former station.. a long time ago when I called Mr Asner and asked if he would front promos for our news. we didn’t have a budget or anything to offer an acting legend. he told us he did it because he believed in the importance of local news @TheOnlyEdAsner

— Pete Wilgoren (@WILGOREN) August 29, 2021

Actor & activist Ed Asner died at the age of 91. He was an outspoken progressive and frequently paid the price for the stands that he took. He was also an excellent actor. He shall be missed.

— Bill Fletcher Jr. (@BillFletcherJr) August 29, 2021

Back