What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Tommy Paul Sets Cincy Showdown With Alcaraz

Brexiter

Tommy Paul has booked a showdown with World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz for the second consecutive week after defeating Frenchman Ugo Humbert 6-1, 7-6(4) to reach the third round of the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati.

Paul leads the Spaniard 2-1 in their Lexus ATP Head2Head series and knocked out the 20-year-old last week in the Toronto quarter-finals.

Paul, who claimed four breaks of serve against Humbert, is at a career-high No. 13 in the Pepperstone ATP Rankings and could break into the Top 10 for the first time with a deep run in Ohio.

"That 5-all game I pretty much did everything to try and go three," said Paul, who lost four straight points from 30/0 to drop serve late in set two against the Frenchman. "But then he gave me a lot of second-serve looks in that 6-5 game and that really helped me. I just put more and more balls in the court and kind of got lucky to be honest. And then once I got to the tie-break, I was pretty amped up, ready to try and close it out."

[ATP APP]

Taylor Fritz claimed his 30th hard-court match win of the season when he defeated Italian Lorenzo Sonego 6-4, 7-6(1) after winning 10 of 14 net approaches.

The recent Atlanta champion improved to 10-2 on the North American hard-court swing and next faces Serbian Dusan Lajovic, who took advantage of 35 unforced errors from Jannik Sinner to defeat the Italian 6-4, 7-6(4).

Fritz is ninth in the Pepperstone ATP Live Race to Turin, hopeful of returning to the Nitto ATP Finals for the second consecutive year.

Back