What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Trending Upwards, Rafa's Clay Stock Set For Market Top In Rome Final

Brexiter

Rafael Nadal didn’t play a ‘beautiful match’ in his Internazionali BNL d’Italia semi-final, but he got the job done against big-serving Reilly Opelka to book his 12th final in Rome.

After struggling to reach his best form on clay this year, Nadal has steadily raised his level in Rome to reach a record-equalling 52nd ATP Masters 1000 final. (Djokovic reached his 53rd final later in the day to take back the record.)

The World No. 3 reached the quarter-final at the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters before falling to an inspired Andrey Rublev in three sets, and was tested in every round of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, where he lifted his 12th trophy (d. Tsitsipas). At the Mutua Madrid Open, he posted a quarter-final finish after being upset by Alexander Zverev in straight sets.

“I have been through [a] positive process during the last month,” Nadal reflected in his post-match press conference. “I played four events. That's the main thing for me. I was able to do my full schedule. I played two quarter-finals. I won a tournament. Now a final here.

“I have been playing better, worse, but always [trending] in a positive line. I am playing better when the weeks are coming. Here, I had a very tough draw and I was able to find a way to be in the final.”

[WATCH LIVE 1]

To reach his 12th final in Rome, Nadal had to manoeuvre past #NextGenATP Italian Jannik Sinner, save match points against lefty Denis Shapovalov, claim his revenge over Zverev and outgun big-serving Opelka. Each player presented a unique challenge, and Nadal passed with flying colours.

“Tomorrow is a final, an important one, and I want to be competitive. I want to play a good match and let's see.

“I have been through [a] positive process during the last month. I played four events. That's the main thing for me. I was able to do my full schedule… I spent plenty of hours on court. In terms of preparation, I consider [it] done. Then I have to adjust a couple more things, but I have two weeks to prepare.”

Nadal will face top seed and five-time Rome champion Novak Djokovic for the 57th time in their ATP Head2Head rivalry (Djokovic leads 29-27) as he seeks his 10th trophy in the Eternal City. Nadal and Djokovic have won 14 of the past 16 editions of this event and will meet for the ninth time at the Foro Italico on Sunday, where Nadal leads 5-3.

Back