What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Tributes pour in for Sir David Amess

Brexiter

Tributes from across the political spectrum have been pouring in for Sir David Amess, after he was stabbed to death during a constituency meeting in Leigh-on-Sea.

The 69 year old Conservative MP for Southend West had been an MP since 1983. MPs and political figures across the political divide have been paying tribute to Sir David.

Here is some of the reaction below:

Heartbroken that we have lost Sir David Amess MP. A great common sense politician and a formidable campaigner with a big heart, and tremendous generosity of spirit – including towards those he disagreed with. RIP my friend.

— Dominic Raab (@DominicRaab) October 15, 2021
The worst aspect of violence is its inhumanity. It steals joy from the world and can take from us that which we love the most.

Today it took a father, a husband, and a respected colleague.

All my thoughts and prayers are with Sir David’s loved ones.

— Rishi Sunak (@RishiSunak) October 15, 2021
Horrific and deeply shocking news. Thinking of David, his family and his staff.

— Keir Starmer (@Keir_Starmer) October 15, 2021
This is the most devastating, horrific & tragic news. David Amess was a kind & thoroughly decent man – & he was the most committed MP you could ever hope to meet. Words cannot adequately express the horror of what has happened today. Right now, my heart goes out to David’s family

— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) October 15, 2021
Devastated to hear the terrible news about Sir David Amess MP. He was a lovely, lovely man and a superb parliamentarian. My thoughts are with all his family and friends.

— Liz Truss (@trussliz) October 15, 2021
This is awful beyond words. My thoughts and deepest condolences are with David’s family, friends and colleagues. May he rest in peace. https://t.co/qRO3Hgbk6q

— Nicola Sturgeon (@NicolaSturgeon) October 15, 2021
This is tragic and horrible news. My thoughts are with David’s wife and children, the wider family, friends and David’s community. A truly terrible day for British politics but most importantly of all our prayers are with all the people who loved David. https://t.co/qPYsE085zy

— Ed Davey MP
?
??
(@EdwardJDavey) October 15, 2021
I am shocked and deeply distressed by the killing of Sir David Amess. Our thoughts and prayers are with David’s family, friends and colleagues. pic.twitter.com/1vaX6yMX9s

— Sir Lindsay Hoyle (@CommonsSpeaker) October 15, 2021
Heartbreaking to hear of the death of Sir David Amess. A decent man and respected Parliamentarian, killed in his own community while carrying out his public duties. A tragic day for our democracy. My thoughts and prayers are with David’s family.

— Theresa May (@theresa_may) October 15, 2021
David and I entered the House together in 1983 and I regard him as a dear friend and a brave & compassionate MP. The loss to his family, who David always put first, and to the House is appalling. But David died doing what David always did – looking after his constituents.

— Sir Roger Gale MP (@SirRogerGale) October 15, 2021
Every single chat I ever had with David Amess was warm hearted, kind, filled with compassion and humour. He was a ‘regular’ at Business Questions and always asked about issues that would help his constituents. Such a loss. Praying for you and your family
?
@amessd_southend

— Andrea Leadsom MP (@andrealeadsom) October 15, 2021
My thoughts and love are with David’s family. They are all that matter now. This brings everything back. The pain, the loss, but also how much love the public gave us following the loss of Jo. I hope we can do the same for David now. pic.twitter.com/hwRN0PODPK

— Brendan Cox (@MrBrendanCox) October 15, 2021
My thoughts and concerns are with David Amess' family at such a shocking time.

Nobody should be under threat doing their job.

— Jeremy Corbyn (@jeremycorbyn) October 15, 2021

The post Tributes pour in for Sir David Amess appeared first on Politics.co.uk.

Back