What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Tsitsipas On Leading Race: 'I’m Fighting For It Every Week'

Brexiter

Stefanos Tsitsipas has plenty to be excited about this week at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, where he made the semi-finals two years ago. Despite a third-round loss last week in Madrid, the 2019 Nitto ATP Finals champion still leads the FedEx ATP Race To Turin.

“That’s great news that I’m still there. I’m fighting for it every single week,” Tsitsipas said. “I didn’t have a very good week last week in Madrid, but so far it’s looking good. I’ve been very consistent, which obviously helps being in that situation. I’m looking forward to performing the same way, doing better and perform even better in the future.”

The Greek star is also looking forward to playing on grass and hard courts later in the season and maintaining his form throughout. The 22-year-old is keen to adapt well to every surface.

“I want to be a complete player,” Tsitsipas said. “That’s important for my psychological state, knowing that I can play on every surface.”

After winning his first ATP Masters 1000 title at the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters and reaching the final of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, where he held championship point against Rafael Nadal before falling short, Tsitsipas lost in the third round of the Mutua Madrid Open. Norwegian Casper Ruud, who eventually made the semi-finals, stopped him there.

“I think you can take the good and the bad things from every situation, whether that would be [losing in] the first round or winning a tournament. You can always come into the next week with something better. For me personally, obviously my opponent played better and it wasn’t meant [to be] for me to be that day. I took that opportunity to come here earlier, prepare, acclimatise to the new conditions.”

The conditions in Rome are closer to those in Monte-Carlo than they are to Madrid, where altitude makes it quicker. Tsitsipas is simply focussing on the task at hand and what he’s dealing with at the Foro Italico, where he will begin his run against former World No. 3 Marin Cilic.

“Tennis is different and that’s what I’m expecting this week,” Tsitsipas said. “It’s a new tournament, you never know who you’ll have to face, how ready you have to be. Every tournament has something unique and different to offer. Again, just staying humble, working my way up and seeing if things are going to work again.”

Did You Know?
Tsitsipas played doubles this week with his brother, Petros Tsitsipas. They lost on Tuesday against Lukasz Kubot and Franko Skugor.

Back