What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

With Measures Of 'Luck & Suffering', Rafa Rules In Rome Again

Brexiter

Rafael Nadal says that he is delighted to have captured his 10th Internazionali BNL d'Italia and it’s a reward for all his hard work over the past couples of weeks.

“It's amazing to have the trophy with me again, one more time here in Rome,” said Nadal, after he defeated World No. 1 Novak Djokovic 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 on Sunday in the final at the Foro Italico. “I really wanted this 10th here in Rome... After achieving 10 at Roland Garros, 10 in Monte-Carlo, 10 in Barcelona, I really wanted this one. It’s [a] super important tournament for me.

“I went through a lot of things during the week. Some positive, some great moments, some lucky moments, suffering moments. At the end I think I played a very solid week of tennis… It's the right moment to win an important title.

“I don't put myself extra pressure [on myself] at all. I want to win every day and every tournament that I am playing. Something that I know [is] not going to happen. But the passion and the motivation to try is always the same. I know how to handle the pressure.”

Nadal, who equalled Djokovic’s tally of 36 ATP Masters 1000 trophies on Sunday, is now 18-3 on the season, which also includes capturing his 12th Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell crown on 25 April.

“I think I have been playing better and better with my forehand in the past couple of weeks, getting [more] confident. Today has been a positive day… That's a huge improvement for me, [a] very important shot. Especially on clay, it's give me confidence. I think my serve is working better, too. I think I had a great week. I played plenty of hours, so I feel good. I feel tired, but [it’s] a very satisfying victory.”

Watch Rome Final Highlights

The 34-year-old will now return to Mallorca to rest, and also prepare for a tilt at a record-breaking 21st Grand Slam championship crown with his 14th Roland Garros title.

“[I’ll] take a couple of days off and then start working," said Nadal. "I think I can work on a couple of things that I can do a little bit better. I think I have been improving this week, but I need to keep going with [those] improvements, because when you improve, you're able to do it every day for longer time. Then it [gives you] more confidence and you feel more confident … to do it in the next tournament.

“I just need to keep going. I know what I need to work [on over] the next couple of weeks, and I'm going to do it. Work, relax mentally, and work the right way.”

Back