What's new
The Brexit And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

• No links are allowed for first ten posts, this is to combat spammers. There after links must be relevant.

Djokovic Outclasses Fritz, Sets Zverev Showdown In Cincinnati SFs

Brexiter

After improving to 19-0 in his Lexus ATP Head2Head against Gael Monfils on Thursday, Novak Djokovic made it a perfect 7-0 against Taylor Fritz with a victory against the home favourite on Friday night at the Western & Southern Open.

The Serbian dominated early and late in a 6-0, 6-4 win against the American, battling back from an early break deficit in set two to advance to the Cincinnati semi-finals. The World No. 2 will next face Alexander Zverev on Saturday.

"Every match is a new match, a new challenge for both of us," Djokovic said of his perfect record against Fritz. "We never faced each other here. Obviously being the No. 1 American, he gets a lot of crowd support.

"I just managed to get off the blocks really strong, played an almost perfect, flawless first set. Then I started off really poorly in the second and handed him the break, but from 2-4 down I played really four solid games in the second. Just overall a great performance."

[ATP APP]

Djokovic could reclaim the top spot in the Pepperstone ATP Rankings this week if he wins the Cincinnati title and current No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz loses to Hubert Hurkacz in the semi-finals.

Playing in his first tournament on U.S. soil since 2021, Djokovic is bidding for his third title at the Western & Southern Open (2018, 2020) and a record-extending 39th ATP Masters 1000 singles crown. By reaching his 75th ATP Masters 1000 semi-final, he moved within one of Rafael Nadal's record at the prestigious level.

Most ATP Masters 1000 SFs

Player SFs
Rafael Nadal76
Novak Djokovic75
Roger Federer66
Andy Murray33
Andre Agassi 32
Pete Sampras32

Against Fritz, the Serbian won an extraordinary opening set in just 21 minutes, but then double faulted twice to start set two and found himself behind 0-2. From 2-4, the Serbian rediscovered his peak form to race through the final four games and into the semis in just over an hour.

With crisp ball-striking throughout, Djokovic dominated the baseline rallies and never allowed Fritz to stamp his authority on the match with his powerful backcourt game. Outside of a brief purple patch at the start of the second set, the American could not produce his best tennis in the face of Djokovic's relentless prodding.

The Serbian, who has not lost more than four games in a set in his three wins this week, continues to raise his level with each match.

"That's something I'm wishing for, that every day I raise the bar slightly more, the level of tennis," he said. "That's what's happening during the tournament. I played three great matches and each day has been a better feeling on the court overall. So hopefully the same trajectory can continue."

Fritz's defeat saw him fall to 3-6 in ATP Masters 1000 quarter-finals. He was stopped short in his bid to become the first American champion in Cincinnati since Andy Roddick in 2006.

Back